Lemon Cupcakes with Coconut Buttercream
- 175gr caster sugar
- 175gr soft, salted butter
- zest of 1 lemon
- 3 large eggs
- 175gr self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 30ml milk
- juice of 1 lemon
- 30gr icing sugar
- 100gr Bounty spread
- 65gr soft salted butter
- 80gr icing sugar
- 50gr desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180 C and line a 12-hole cupcake tray with cases.
- Beat together the castor sugar, butter and lemon zest in a mixer or with a wooden spoon until light and creamy looking.
- Beat the eggs lightly with a fork and add dribble by dribble, beating well after each addition until really well combined.
- Sieve the flour and baking powder into the bowl and fold in with a large metal spoon using a cutting motion.
- Lastly fold in the milk.
- Divide equally between the cases and bake in the centre of the oven for 15-20 minutes until well risen, lightly brown.
- Remove from the tin and cool on a wire rack.
- Make the drizzle by heating the lemon juice and sugar in a small saucepan over a low heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from the heat and after poking about 15 holes into each cupcake, brush the hot drizzle over the top.
- Whilst the cakes are cooling make the icing by beating together the Bounty spread, butter and icing sugar for a few minutes until well combined.
- Make the toasted coconut by heating the desiccated coconut in a dry frying pan.
- Pipe or use a knife to ice each cake and dip into the toasted coconut.
- Heather Fraser